Tuesday 5 July 2011

Baking...





I haven't posted many pictures of my baking over the last few months - I have still been baking, so I thought I'd share two of the highlights today.

Firstly, a wonderful cherry and marzipan cake; it is a basic sponge, made half with ground almonds and half with flour (I used gluten free), and studded with glace cherries (I never used to be a fan, but I've since found that you can get less garishly red ones in Marks and Spencer). Half of the mixture goes into the tin, and then a disc of marzipan is put on top, before the other half of the mixture completes it - once baked, you have a lovely layer cake.

Secondly, a Rhubarb Crumble cake made with delicious rhubarb from the pick your own farm, that came in sticks longer than my arm! I used this recipe, although I left out the orange juice as I didn't have any to hand, and used ginger rather than cinnamon to make a spicy flavoured sponge. Sadly, although it tasted fantastic on the first day, using gluten free flour alongside the very moist fruit, meant that the texture deteriorated quite badly on the second day.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea with the Marzipan - must try that one!

    I love rhubarb and the cake looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verity I've found that fruit crumble is never quite as good the second day, even in my pre gluten free days of cooking. The crumble topping would seem to set rock hard, so I don't know if the GF flour was partly to blame in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that crumbly topping on your cake. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.