Saturday 23 May 2009

Margaret Drabble

Margaret Drabble is another new author to me this year, and so far I'm undecided. The Millstone was recommended to me, and although I've got it sitting on the to-be-read-bookcase, I haven't had a chance to have a look at it yet. In the meantime I read The Radiant Way which was about three women, who met at Cambridge, and their lives during the 1980s. It sounded like the sort of book that I'd like to read (and so I was excited that it was part of a triology) but I found that it dotted all over the place and was confusing to follow. I didn't really warm to the characters so was somewhat disappointed. However, as I was still looking forward to the Millstone, so I decided that I'd look to see if we had anything by her at work. We did; the Waterfall. It's about a woman who has an affair with her cousin's husband after her husband leaves just as she is about to have a child. It doesn't sound like much of a plot, but it is beautifully written and told and a wonderful love story. So, I'm enjoying this more than the Radiant Way so far.
Amazon.co.uk incidentally has suggested that I might like to read The Garrick Year, and judging by the blurb I think I might do. So, will have to look out for that. It's impossible to judge an author on one book - for example, if I'd read one of Daphne Du Maurier's more obscure novels then I might never have got to Rebecca, I'll Never Be Young Again, Frenchman's Creek, or Julius.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.